Copepods and phytoplankton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copepods and phytoplankton

Started to culture pods and phyto. Since pods are so expensive and getting them shipped adds more cost I figured I would just do it myself.
    They claim if you dose phyto it naturally lowers nitrate and phosphate. I might try that as well.
    I only started a week ago so I am ramping up slowly but here are some teaser pics. Phyto then 2 of the pods. They are so hard to see.
    20201012_161528.jpg
    Attached Files

Wow this is awesome! I can’t wait to see how this project turns out. I bought pods from Algae Barn and there were a bunch in the jars but it was expensive. Where did you get your cultures from? What kind of pods do you have?
    Lynne

Comment

I found a breeder online and got the Tigriopus californicus copepod and some Nannochloropsis phytoplankton.
      Phytoplankton culturing is more gratifying in that you see it getting darker (more concentrated) everyday. Copepod culturing is so much slower going. It takes about 20 days to see a noticable increase in pods due to rearing and them putting on enough size to see them.

Comment

I would be interested in buying some if you get extras! I bought a jar from Algae Barn with some other stuff and it was expensive!

Lynne

Comment

Plus one on purchasing some when you have an abundance.
          220 gallon reef

Comment

Working...
          X