Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad News

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publicatio...se.cfm?id=2649

Huge bummer. I loved this section. Looks like you guys made it just in time...

Holy crap!?! We were just there and talked to the guys there.... they didnt mention anything about it. That sucks!

Comment

I just read this myself just now. Was getting ready to post something about it when I saw this. This is sad news. I loved that part of the zoo even if it was a small hidden place.
      220 gallon reef

Comment

money... it's all about money, or the lack of it.
        Never too old to learn,
        Mike

120 In-wall mixed Reef

Comment

A million $ to maintain? $5 million in updates needed? Those seem a bit high to me. Probably not as much foot traffic as other parts of the zoo.
          Dennis
          Clownfish Breeder

Comment

Yea It's a high amount cause all the bureaucrats and middle men have to get there cut

Comment

Just saw the story on the local news. This is very sad. I wonder what they are going to do with all of that equipment and animals? SMH
              90 Gallon Mixed Reef - Open Waters

Comment

I dont see how they spend that kind of money on that place... it wasn't THAT nice... but being that it is a "government" facility all the price tags are 10x. Sucks....

Comment

They use a lot of volunteer help at the zoo. Perhaps if they charged a small admission fee (not just the ridiculous parking fee), they could more easily fund some things.
                  Michael Hill

Comment

Honestly, if they dropped the parking fee in half then charged an admissions fee per person (like $5 adults/$3 kids) they would be able to improve stuff and have more revenue.

Comment

It is part of the Smithsonian, so I guess if they charged for one they would have to charge for all.
                      If I had to guess, it was probably one of the least popular exhibits (not among us of course).
                      I would rather they close an exhibit down, than not provide proper care for animals because they didn't have the funds.

My company worked off and on down there for a few years (installing fire sprinkler systems) so I was down there at least once a week. I did my work and then walked around for a few hours
                      Michael Hill

Comment

I wonder what they're going to do with all the livestock / equipment and such. Maybe they'll be looking to "rehome" some interesting specimens.

Comment

My daughter said that Washington Zoo is one of the zoo's that does not have a release program so they are missing out on alot of the funding that pertains to conservation. You would think if they were interested in keeping it open they would entertain this idea.
                          220 gallon reef

Comment

The article says all the live stock will be distributed to the other zoo's and organizations within the system, but I would mind asking about a few of the tanks

Comment

https://www.change.org/petitions/nat...ate-house-open

Comment

Working...
                              X