Major malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major malfunction

I had a heater go absolutely bonkers. Overheated everything in a smaller canister filtered tank. Everything, and I mean even the algae, is dead. The water was 102 degrees when I finally found it!!
    I think I know the answer but:
    Do I need to break down everything? Get rid of it all? Completely start over? Sigh......
    Thanks.

Wow, sorry to hear this. What type of heater was it? I had this happen to me before, as I have heard of others with this happening to them. Luckily I caught mine in time that it did not do much harm. I would have to say at this point, unfortunately you answered your own question.
    Ken Higgins
    120 gallon reef
    125 gallon fresh water
    50 gallon fresh water

Comment

It was a Fluval. Kinda surprised me as Iíve always had good experience with their products. I didnít lose a lot as I was beginning a quarantine and restock. But lots of invertebrates and amazing little creatures. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

I have had luck with Eheim heaters. You should look into some kind of shut off to help protect the tank. I have a digital aquatics controller on mine. It is not as expensive as the apex, but does the job that i need it to do. As you have now experienced, some of the little things make you wonder what is next.
        Ken Higgins
        120 gallon reef
        125 gallon fresh water
        50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Wow I am really sorry to hear about your tank. That is awful. I have some coral frags you can have after you get your tank back up and running. Did you have any Zoas in the tank? If so, wear gloves when you put your hands in the tank. I have never done this before but you could try letting it cycle again as is if there were no Zoas. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
          Lynne

Comment

Just some Kenyan tree coral. Beautiful anemones and two clownfish from our breeder Mr Dennis. A few other fish.
            A lot of starfish and clams and such. I was working on restocking following my last unfortunate experience
            Ive learned a lot these last couple years and hopefully I can put it all to use and recover.
            Thank you!

Comment

when you get your tank back up and going, get with me also. I can pass on some things to help you with
              Ken Higgins
              120 gallon reef
              125 gallon fresh water
              50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                X