Decided to build a Refugium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to build a Refugium

So I finally decided to go with a refugium instead of using the free canister setup I have. LOL So tomorrow I am returning all the media I bought for it. I can only fit a 10 gallon tank in the cabinet. I am hoping it is big enough considering the tank is no bigger than 55 gallons(touched on this in another post. Might actually be 35gal, was given to me free). I might end up buying a sump kit from ocean box designs https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/...um-blackclear/

Hopefully tomorrow I can narrow down the exact protein skimmer and pump I need so that I will know where to place the dividers and try to maximize the center refugium area. With that sump kit I might modify it and not use the grate material on the right. I think that is supposed to be where algae grows or something or maybe I can put filter media there like a bag of carbon? I will probably do a carbon/GFO reactor.

Also hoping this smaller Kessil LED light will be sufficient for the refugium as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749X5XL8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I will use a kit from algae barn for this to get it going and help cycle the tank. I think my actual tank light and the plumbing is all I need to figure out. I have some of the modular hose segments and a coupe flare nozzles but need to get attachments for them and thinking about clear tubing from the hardware store. And I need to figure out the attachments to use to feed the refugium tank.

I have the powerheads picked out and an auto topoff picked out well. I have the RO/DI stage 5 plus setup I need to mount and grab new media and I have the reef keeper I will eventually get setup as well.

Good choice with the Refugium. As for lights I run 2 kessil a160ís. Excellent coverage par for my 20 gallon nano.

Comment

Yeah, I may decide to do a 20 gallon refugium now and put it in the closet. then just cut a couple outlet holes in the wall behind the tank to pass the hoses through

Comment

As far as the auto top off, you can get a float, pump, and some tubing and use the digital aquatics to do that cheaper. This is what I have doing mine
        Ken Higgins
        120 gallon reef
        125 gallon fresh water
        50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Does the tank have a built in overflow or are you using an external overflow?
          Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by LynneC View Post
            Does the tank have a built in overflow or are you using an external overflow?
            It does not have a built in. The folks at BRS said either drill a hole in the back or do the overflow but the guy I talked to said he doesn't trust overflows tanks and said he would use 2 and of course the expensive ones with a pump. The CPR aquatics.

Comment

I am not a fan of external overflows either.
              Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by LynneC View Post
                I am not a fan of external overflows either.
                Then see my other post about the glass and drilling. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X