Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here drill tanks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone here drill tanks?

    I am trying to decide if I drill the tank or use a couple overflow tanks. I would rather pay someone experienced with the right tools to drill if I decide to go that route.

  • #2
    Yes - I have drilled tanks before. You need to know what kind of glass it is. The bottom is usually tempered glass so you canít drill that. The sides are normally not tempered.
    Lynne

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LynneC View Post
      Yes - I have drilled tanks before. You need to know what kind of glass it is. The bottom is usually tempered glass so you canít drill that. The sides are normally not tempered.
      Is there any way to tell by looking at it? Since the tank was free and I do not see a manufacturers tag on it, can we even tell?

      Comment


      • #4
        Tempered glass tanks usually have a sticker on the bottom with build date.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mookie63 View Post
          Tempered glass tanks usually have a sticker on the bottom with build date.
          Thank you. I will take a pic when I get home. I know there was 1 or 2 stickers but I was looking for a manufacturer and not if it was tempered.

          LynneC , would you be willing to drill this?

          Comment


          • #6
            It wouldnít say tempered, itís a way that the manufacturer indicates if it was tempered. You think they would just come out and say it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mookie63 View Post
              It wouldnít say tempered, itís a way that the manufacturer indicates if it was tempered. You think they would just come out and say it.
              So it does say tempered. Engraved on the bottom. So should I assume the sides aren't? LOL BRS mentioned wearing polarized glasses and have a white background on my phone and look through the glass with phone on other side. They mentioned if it has a rainbow look. I forgot if that means it is tempered or not. LynneC interested in trying? Won't hold you responsible.
              Last edited by JasonR; 01-15-2019, 09:56:42 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I donít think I want to break your free tank by trying to drill it with that message etched on the bottom. The message usually specifies that the bottom is tempered.
                Lynne

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LynneC View Post
                  I donít think I want to break your free tank by trying to drill it with that message etched on the bottom. The message usually specifies that the bottom is tempered.
                  Well that sucks. I mean, at least it as free so I wouldn't lose anything. LOL

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LynneC View Post
                    I donít think I want to break your free tank by trying to drill it with that message etched on the bottom. The message usually specifies that the bottom is tempered.
                    Well, I found out the tank is a 6-8yo Aqueon 54gal tank and the front and bottom are tempered but the rear sides are not. I confirmed using polarized glasses and my iPad with a blue screen.

                    So I ordered an eshopps eclipse M internal overflow with bulkhead kit and emergency drain. $120 and comes with the bit, bulkhead and template. Pretty good deal. Also ordered my return pump, Sicce 3.0. Also bought a gate valve for the drain line to control levels.

                    I need to decide if I use a colored tubing or use clear. Thinking clear so I can see any algae growth for cleaning.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Glad you found out that the sides are not tempered. Send a pic of the over flow you bought.
                      Lynne

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LynneC View Post
                        Glad you found out that the sides are not tempered. Send a pic of the over flow you bought.
                        Here you go

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          that is nice!
                          Lynne

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X