Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

If it's not one thing, it's another thing!
    ..................................................Roseanne Roseannadanna c. 1978

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_syuD-N_k

Well, let's see, when I first got sucked into this insane affliction we call a hobby I remember reading about how it was so desireable to promote coralline growth. The one thing no one tells you is that once conditions are ideal for coralline growth... it loves to grow on acrylic! One more neverending battle!

At least the fish all seem to be happy... that is, if you equate happiness with rapid growth. At this point both the Desjardinni and the largest Hippo are between 3/4 and 1 inch thick (gill to gill).

Contrary to everything I'd read, my Copperband's about as omnivorous as a fish can get, eating everything from mysis, Rods food, sheet algae, Formula 2 and flake by the pound.

Some of my Tangs were a bit smaller than the others so I separated them (1 sailfin, 1 Orange Shoulder, 2 Blue Hippos, 1 Yellow) into my 90 before merging them into the big tank. They've grown enough (all 3-5") so I should be able to merge them but the Tangs in the big tank have also grown (all 4-8") so now I'm starting to worry about overcrowding.

Can a 450 be full with eleven fish? If I were to merge the others in, that would raise the population to 16 fish, 11 of which would be Tangs along with 2 Clarkii, the Copperband, and a beautiful pair of Lineatus Fairy Wrasses.

FYI, my skimmer's been AWOL for about six weeks and I've been stumped as to why. I've cleaned the becketts and filters frequently and to no avail. I think I deduced the problem last night. The recirculating pump is drawing water faster than the feeder pump can deliver, so the 1 1/4" marine bilge hose I used is literally collapsing from the negative pressure. This reduces the amount of aeriation and voila! Now I just have to find an adequate replacement for the thin walled bilge hose! It needs to be sturdy yet flexible enough to make a rather sharp 300 degree turn.

I have six Bangii serving out their quarantine in my 20 gal. QT and soon I'll need to think of the best environment for them to pair off and breed. Suggestions welcome!

I adopted a 1 1/4" Picasso Trigger and he's rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. He's in the 90.

WARNING! My nano was completely wiped out. Fish, coral, inverts, all gone. I had what looked like some sort of short in the power strip feeding the heater, PH and skimmer. The powerstrip was covered with black soot and I was glad it didn't cause a fire! I think that what saved my ass is that the heater plug's copper electrodes literally melted and the plug dropped off.

An electrician friend stopped by while I was cleaning up the carnage and after seeing the powerstrip he moistened his finger and wiped an area of the strip and tasted it.

He had me do the same and I immediately tasted... salt! Apparently an invisible layer of salt film was allowing an arc to pass between the prongs of the heater and PH. This created the short. He suggested that anytime you have plugs near salt or brackish water you should periodically give them a fresh water wipe to keep this from happening.
    My ball & chains:

90 FOWLR & a few 'shrooms

55 FOWLR/now vacant

450/625 Reef 'Tangtown'

17 Horses
    2 English Lab destructo beasts (they eat lawn chairs)
    7 fixed feral cats
    8 Peafowl
    1 African Gray
    1 Blue & Gold Macaw
    1 Hyacinth Macaw

Sigh,
    Calvertbill

WOW! What a great post Bill. We really need to stop by and check out your aquarium. You mentioned that your large tank is 450 but how big is your sump? That needs to be added in to figure your max fish load. Once your skimmer is back on line that is. BTW, I'm having issues with my skimmer as well MRC 2/3... took it apart to clean it but haven't put it back together again to see if it's back to making maga foam again...

Couldn't see the utube vid...
    Never too old to learn,
    Mike

120 In-wall mixed Reef

Comment

That's why I call it a 450/625. The former number indicates the Display, the latter indicates total volume.
      My ball & chains:

90 FOWLR & a few 'shrooms

55 FOWLR/now vacant

450/625 Reef 'Tangtown'

17 Horses
      2 English Lab destructo beasts (they eat lawn chairs)
      7 fixed feral cats
      8 Peafowl
      1 African Gray
      1 Blue & Gold Macaw
      1 Hyacinth Macaw

Sigh,
      Calvertbill

Comment

Yeah, I figured it out when I saw your signiture line...

I think you have plenty of water for the fish you have and plan to fold in, but you'll need to get that skimmer back on line.
        Never too old to learn,
        Mike

120 In-wall mixed Reef

Comment

Working...
        X