Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump victims

Hey all,

I joined the club a while back when I first got up to Maryland, but haven't been active lately due to the work travel schedule.

My tank has been doing pretty good so far, but tonight something happened that really upset me and I'd appreciate any opinions.

I recently added an anemone to the mix and it was doing awesome for a few days. Today before work I gave it a silver side and it seemed to get insanely happy. So happy to get hold of it that it detached itself from the rock and tried to swim like a jellyfish to get at the silver. It was a frantic race to kick off the circulation pumps so the anemone wouldn't get caught up. I was able to coax it back onto the rock and made sure it had a firm grip before restarting the pumps.

Here's where the devastation comes in. I get home from work and the anemone isn't on its rock. Yup, you probably guessed. It must've let go some time while I was gone and got caught up in one of the pumps.

Suffice it to say, I'm a complete emotional wreck over this. The anemone was so pretty and this is the only window of time I've had to add anything new to the tank for some time. Now that window is closed and I'm not going to get another chance until next year. I suspect I lost a shrimp to the circulation pumps shortly after starting the tank. Any thoughts on what I can do to prevent this in the future?

At this point I'm really wanting to give up on the idea of having a salt tank until after I leave this job so I'm around to monitor this stuff more.

Thanks.
    Adam
    Adam
    30 gallon reef

That's happened to most of us. I had a huge anemone.. probably over 12" across. it was very happy and doing great... came home from work one day to see the tank all cloudy... it found it's way into a powerhead... it was tramatized so much it killed EVERYTHING in the tank except for a couple clownfish. The anemone did survive though and quickly repaired the damage portions.

The only way to avoid it is to put guards/screens on the powerhead intakes or foam covers like they make for the ecotech wavemakers.

You'll find saltwater tanks are prone to have a mishap of some sort from time to time. You can minimize the risk by monitoring them more often, but inevitably something is going to happen. It could be a power failure, heater frying the tank, a water leak, a case of ich, etc.

There are a lot of us out here that have lost, hundreds if not thousands of dollars in livestock at some point in time.

If there's a good piece of the anemone left, there's a chance for recovery with a little tlc.

Stick with it and try not to get too discouraged. We're all here to help!
    Dennis
    Clownfish Breeder

Comment

Well said Dennis, The foam covers work best but you have to wash them out every 2 days or so, to prevent the water flow coming to a crawl. When you get a chance you can redesign the tank to have a closed loop system that will no longer require any power heads. A lot of drilling but worth the effort. Real good for tanks with anemones.

Hang in there Adam!
      Never too old to learn,
      Mike

120 In-wall mixed Reef

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about that, Adam. I can see how that would be really discouraging. It is really hard to keep up a saltwater tank if you aren't around all the time, so I can understand why you might want to take a break. If you want to keep plugging away (and I suspect you will), you might want to consider simplifying things as much as possible, and set a fixed maintenance schedule for the important things. Maybe hold off on critters you need to keep a close eye on, or that really foul the water when they die. Have a reliable auto-topoff to keep salinity stable, and maybe a couple smaller heaters instead of one big one. Lights on timers.

Good luck with things. If you keep an eye out, and ask on the forums here, you might be able to come away with some critters for little $ or even for free, if people are selling frags or have excess in their tanks. I don't know if you are going to be around, but the frag swap this saturday will be lots of fun. Just let Lynne know in advance if you can make it.

Comment

My purple condi decided to take a trip around the tank and wound up in the overflow intake! My tank started flooding! That was a mess. I moved it into the frag tank after that.
          Lynne

Comment

I lost two back in July. They were well planted for over a month.

I am sure one was running from the chemicial warfare the other one started when it hit the MP40.

I went out after that and got a tank seperator (the plastic type) and cut it up to where it encased two 1400 PH and I put the foam on my mp40.

Just last week I came home for lunch and one of my new ones was in the net/screen. I turned off that pump, let it get untangled, and put it back in the rock. It only had problems with one tentacle and is back flowing nicely.

To jump off and swim like a jellyfish... hahaha...

I have heard that some do not really like silversides and will change locations to get away from them.

I feed mine cut up shrimp, scallops, flounder. I pre cut them up and put them in a zip-lock bag spread out in the freezer. That way when they froze I just tapped the bag and I had separated individual chunks to thaw out in TANK WATER.
            Tank:180g Mixed reef 100lb LR|4" LS|2x MP40W|40g Sump|3x Radion Pros|RO db250 skimmer|Apex|WEB CAM TOO
            Stock:4 OC Clowns|2 Cinnamon Clowns|4 Peppermint shrimp|Blue Hippo Tang|5 PJ Cardinals|4 Brittle Stars|1000+ Copods| MiniBrittle|80+ Bristle Worms|3 Anemonies|100+ feathers|4 boys 11,18,19,19

Comment

Originally posted by dlacey View Post
              That's happened to most of us. I had a huge anemone.. probably over 12" across. it was very happy and doing great... came home from work one day to see the tank all cloudy... it found it's way into a powerhead... it was tramatized so much it killed EVERYTHING in the tank except for a couple clownfish. The anemone did survive though and quickly repaired the damage portions.

The only way to avoid it is to put guards/screens on the powerhead intakes or foam covers like they make for the ecotech wavemakers.

You'll find saltwater tanks are prone to have a mishap of some sort from time to time. You can minimize the risk by monitoring them more often, but inevitably something is going to happen. It could be a power failure, heater frying the tank, a water leak, a case of ich, etc.

There are a lot of us out here that have lost, hundreds if not thousands of dollars in livestock at some point in time.

If there's a good piece of the anemone left, there's a chance for recovery with a little tlc.

Stick with it and try not to get too discouraged. We're all here to help!

I used to use Aqua Clear power heads but I switched to Korolla's after first loosing a large snail then a Condi. Never had problems after that. I'm not a big fan of those type of power heads.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in reply/updating. Busy week at work.

Funny enough I was just looking at closed-loop circulation. Not sure I'm ready to spend the time to break the tank down to parade-rest to drill more holes. But it's definitely an option that I like.

The jumping off thing was definitely not to get away from the food. It loved that thing and gobbled it right up.

I think what I'm going to do for now is just press the pause button. I'm not stopping, but halting any changes to the tank until I can come up with a game plan to make things work better. So far I've really loved the setup, but I'm starting to see ways to improve it and make it more hands-free.
                Adam
                30 gallon reef

Comment

Good call to pause until you have a little more time or improve the system. Anemones are very risky. They should not move if they really like where they are at, but nothing is a guarantee. When I set my tank up a year ago my wife bought me a present. An anemone. Luckily it was one of the first items in my reef tank. It found a spot that it likes and so I have built the reef around it. I have never feed and won't. I do not want it to get any bigger. It constantly touches a large toadstool and duncans. I would still take it out of the tank if I could not monitor it everyday. Just not worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Good call to pause until you have a little more time or improve the system. Anemones are very risky. They should not move if they really like where they are at, but nothing is a guarantee. When I set my tank up a year ago my wife bought me a present. An anemone. Luckily it was one of the first items in my reef tank. It found a spot that it likes and so I have built the reef around it. I have never feed and won't. I do not want it to get any bigger. It constantly touches a large toadstool and duncans. I would still take it out of the tank if I could not monitor it everyday. Just not worth the risk.
                    I've always had weird luck with animals. They always turn out strange like this. My cat is more like a dog than a cat. She doesn't even care one bit about the tank, and when she came home I thought for sure she'd go crazy over it. So an anemone that thinks it's a jellyfish doesn't really surprise me now.
                    Adam
                    30 gallon reef

Comment

Working...
                    X