Green Hair like Alge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Hair like Alge

Ok so I have some green hair like alge growing on my rocks and of course my BTA is on the same rock with a real good hold for its foot so I don't want to move him. The crabs (emerald and hermit) don't eat it and the tank is to small for a tang. Any tips on controlling this or removing it?
    120G Reef
    2 Ocelaris, 2 Tomato, Blue Hippo Tang, 3, Striped Cardnial Fish, 1 Firefish, , 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Springer Damsel, Coral Banded Shrimp

Water parameters are Nitrate and Nitrite 0 PH is a little low 7.8 - 8.0 doing a water change this afternoon. I will get some pics to post as well.
    120G Reef
    2 Ocelaris, 2 Tomato, Blue Hippo Tang, 3, Striped Cardnial Fish, 1 Firefish, , 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Springer Damsel, Coral Banded Shrimp

Comment

Check you phosphates as well. If they are elevated, you will get algae blooms.

Comment

I agree check your phosphates. But don't be surprised if you get a test result of 0 just like with your nitrates. If you have algae then you have nitrates and phosphates in your tank. However the algae is using them up which is why you will get a test result of 0. If you get a result higher than 0 it means that there is so much that the algae can't use it all. Some people try 3 days with no light to kill off algae and it works ok but unless you remove their food (nitrates and phosphates) it will come back.

That being said take some steps to reduce the nitrates and phosphates.

Reduce feedings to smallest amount you can get away with. Make sure every piece is consumed.
        Make sure you use only RO/DI water with a TDS of 0.
        Run GFO to reduce phosphates.
        Grow macro algae that will out compete the micro algae for the nitrates and phosphates
        Water changes will help but you need large changes to make a dent.

I have battled hair algae before its a pain. But with determination it can be defeated, it wont happen fast.
        Chris

"In this hobby only bad stuff happens fast"

55 Gal w/ 20 gal sump, 2x 175 watt halides, 4x55 Watt PC actinic, ASM G2 Skimmer, Mated Pair of Ocelaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma, Green Chromis, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, LPS, SPS.

Comment

+1 on growing macro algae. I too used to have some algae growing on my rocks. It started growing in my overflow because my halides shine in that area also and actually grew quite a bit before I realized it. Well I cleaned it out of my overflow but I could not get all of it so I kept cleaning it out about every 2 weeks and then before I knew it I had no algae growing except in the overflow. That is when it hit me that if I just control where the algae grows then I can achieve the results that I want. Algae free in the display for a year now.

Comment

Working...
          X