No announcement yet.

Reef Tank and Canister Filter Systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reef Tank and Canister Filter Systems?

So I was given a FluvalSmart 305 canister filter with the tank and I was going to use it to setup my reef tank. A friend just told me not to use a canister filter system on salt tanks claiming it will kill everything. Sounds like a hater to me? Fluval claims it will work just fine. And I hope considering I just spent $100 on new media and pump rebuild kit. My buddy said to do a DIY refugium? I wasnít looking to spend more money on a system yet since I have to buy some other things. Changing it out in 6-12months I can do but wanted to use this system for now. But not if itís going to ruin the tank.

Thoughts?

Additionally, what protein skimmer do you all recommend? My system 20+ years ago had the skimmer within the main filter but that isnít possible with the fluval. The reef octopus was recommended but looks like they are internal. Fluval has theirs which appears to be external

Lastly, RO filters? In Florida I could go to the saltwater store and buy it. Havenít found anything here like that and figured I should start using it for my salt tank and I assume even my freshwater tank. A stage 4 RO DI system was recommended with a booster pump since Iím on well water. I do have a culligan softener and chlorinater on the house.

Good afternoon Jason,
    Canister systems are ok but you would have to very conscious of maintenance and upkeep on it.
    Protein skimmer can be a hob (hang on back) type.
    RO should be used , petco has the premixed water but it can be an expensive ordeal. I buygood quality salt and use RO/DI water. A stage 4 RO with booster is perfect, not quiet sure on the culligan system.
    You should also consider a quarantine system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie63 View Post
      Good afternoon Jason,
      Canister systems are ok but you would have to very conscious of maintenance and upkeep on it.
      Protein skimmer can be a hob (hang on back) type.
      RO should be used , petco has the premixed water but it can be an expensive ordeal. I buygood quality salt and use RO/DI water. A stage 4 RO with booster is perfect, not quiet sure on the culligan system.
      You should also consider a quarantine system as well.
      The culligan I referenced just so folks know my starting point. By no means do I think that water is sufficient to just use as is for salt tank. Just mentioning it as it is filtered well water.

Currently on the freshwater setup I use s cascade canister and I change the media every couple of months. Iím not sure if similar upkeep is enough or not. What filter system would you recommend?

I saw one DYI refugium and they still used a hang on filter system. The refugium was just additional to help with other growth. So I am not sure yet if w refugium is really a filter replacement system or not. I need to watch more YouTube vids and research.

Ill mix mix my own saltwater. I need to research what brand salt I should use and also need to look into circulation pumps(brands, size, quantity for this 35gallon tank) and lastly what substraight I should use. If I vacuum I donít feel like having to replace substrate every time because itís too light and gets sucked up.

Comment

Oh yeah, on quarantine, I have a 10 gallon I can setup as quarantine. Iíll need a hob filter for it and maybe light source but I have a tank I can use.

Comment

You sound like me when I started my tank. Take your time, patience is the key. There are several things I wish I had done different, but i rushed. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is what most people use for a reef tank. I go back and forth with that and Red Sea. Filtration in my tank is a sump, with a filter sock, made in refuge with cheato, and most times I run GFO and Carbon in that.

As far as the substrate, I have crushed coral, and not the fine stuff, you know the stuff from the late 80's. If I could go back, I would have a fine sand bottom. I would suggest if you are going to have live rock in the tank, prior to putting in the substrate, get some plastic egg crate and put in first. This keeps the rock from sitting on the glass bottom and keeps it from possibly slipping

Alot to plan out and think about
          Ken Higgins
          120 gallon reef
          125 gallon fresh water
          50 gallon fresh water

Comment

This listing on craigslist has a great price on an rodi and substrate.
            https://smd.craigslist.org/for/d/wal...784480975.html
            Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Higgins View Post
              You sound like me when I started my tank. Take your time, patience is the key. There are several things I wish I had done different, but i rushed. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is what most people use for a reef tank. I go back and forth with that and Red Sea. Filtration in my tank is a sump, with a filter sock, made in refuge with cheato, and most times I run GFO and Carbon in that.

As far as the substrate, I have crushed coral, and not the fine stuff, you know the stuff from the late 80's. If I could go back, I would have a fine sand bottom. I would suggest if you are going to have live rock in the tank, prior to putting in the substrate, get some plastic egg crate and put in first. This keeps the rock from sitting on the glass bottom and keeps it from possibly slipping

Alot to plan out and think about
              Spoke to my buddy tonight again and he explained his refugium setup exactly like yours, but didn't mention the GFO (I'll have to search that). He had live rock in it as well and recommended against live rock in the tank. Said to grab some "dead rock' from Bulk Reef Supply. This isn't helping my argument to start off with the canister setup. LOL I mean, all the media I bought was off amazon, so I could return for credit. Just hate having a free filter sitting here not used. My understanding with the canisters is clogging, but Fluval told me to only have the fine media as one part of the system in the vertical tray unlike fresh where the fine media is in the baskets as well. All the baskets would have fluval bio max and carbon bags. So there wouldn't be clogging issues in the baskets. I don't have patience. Just like a new toy or car part. I want it install and going now. LOL

Good call on the crate. Brenda from Petco recommended the finer substrate as well. He also mentioned to help the cycle process, grab a few raw shrimp from the grocery store and put them in there and let them decay. They after it cycles grab some turbo snails and a certain crab and let them clean it all up and then start adding fish

Comment

Originally posted by LynneC View Post
                This listing on craigslist has a great price on an rodi and substrate.
                https://smd.craigslist.org/for/d/wal...784480975.html
                Thank you. I sent him an email. Curious about the reef keeper. Not sure what it does, but it all seems like a good deal

Comment

The Reef keeper Lite is a must have to prevent heaters from over heating the tank. You can use it to control your lights. It also has a ton of other uses. It is good to have. You can get a pH probe for it to monitor the tank or calcium reactor pH. etc...

With live rock/sand, most of the denitrification takes place inside the tank. The canister filter with the biomedia also helps with denitrfication but mainly it is to remove particulates and to add chemical filter media (carbon/phosban/whatever). One of our past school tanks used a canister filter for years and did great. That is until a power outage over a holiday weekend.

It all depends on your maintenance and husbandry methods. Canister filters are a good to have item in your bag of tools. While I donít use one for my main filtration, I use it for alot of things. I use it to vacuum detritus out of my sump or fill it with carbon if there is a problem or if I stir stuff up too much to polish the water. You can definitely use the canister filter.

You can make or buy an intank refugium. They also sell external hang on the back refugiums.

Btw - the club has a few hang on the back protien skimmers for sale and also a 4 stage RODI.
                  Lynne

Comment

Looks like several good deals, I am even thinking about the frag rack. If you get it, let me know cause I am sure you will need new filters for the RO/DI unit. I am putting in an order to BRS for new filters for my system. I can add what you want to my order so save you shipping if you want. Looks like you would still need a pump for it, and BRS is where i got mine.
                    Ken Higgins
                    120 gallon reef
                    125 gallon fresh water
                    50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Looks like several good deals, I am even thinking about the frag rack. If you get it, let me know cause I am sure you will need new filters for the RO/DI unit. I am putting in an order to BRS for new filters for my system. I can add what you want to my order so save you shipping if you want. Looks like you would still need a pump for it, and BRS is where i got mine.
                      Will do. Just waiting on his reply. The pump I assume you mean the booster pump? BRS didnít think I would need one. But if it turns out I do Iíll grab one. Hoping he replies.

Comment

All depends on your water pressure. The gauge on the unit will tell you. Pressure here is between 35-40 psi. I went for a long time without a booster pump and took hours to make 5 gallons, and hurt the filters. Now with the pump, I'm up to 80+ psi and can do 5 gallons in about an hour
                        Ken Higgins
                        120 gallon reef
                        125 gallon fresh water
                        50 gallon fresh water

Comment

I ended up grabbing it today. Picked up the stage 5 RO/DI plus system, reefkeeper, the sand and he gave me a salinity refractometer.

He claims he changed all the media in the RO/DI system and it hasn't been used, but I might as well freshen it up anyway

Comment

Did you get the frag rack too?
                            Ken Higgins
                            120 gallon reef
                            125 gallon fresh water
                            50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Did you get the frag rack too?
                              No I did not. Frankly not sure why I would need that right now or ever for the type of tank I want to do. Nice guy, met him at his house. Military and selling the house to go to a new station

Comment

Working...
                              X