Tank Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Lights

I saw a thread on here about the ebay lights and having issues eventually. I think there was a fix for them, but I am in the process of trying to decide what to get. I have a Fluval LED on my freshwater that is Bluetooth controlled. It is one of the strip lights that has I think 4 rows of small LED's.

My salt tank is a corner tank that I think is about 35 gallons. Prior owner said it was 55 gallons, but based on my calcs I think it is closer to 35. Just calculated volume of a triangle and converted to gallons. Which is interesting because I did the same for my freshwater and it came out to 40 gallons, but in Petco the other day the same size tank they are claiming is 55 gallons. Can I not just calculate cubic inches and convert to gallons?

So anyway, the tank isn't large and is a corner tank. I was going to just do another fluval but their saltwater version. But I am seeing these much larger box type lights you guys are using. I tried searching the site but all it does is goes to the page showing all the forum groups and does not come up with any threads. I checked ebay and saw some for $30-$100 depending on size needed, but they didn't specify what the PAR is. This is new to me and I will need to do some research to figure out what PAR is needed. I used different types of florescents 20+ years ago.

So trying to plan out which light to use over the tank and if I should try hanging or set it right on the tank itself. Not sure I can hang it thoughA

And I decided to go with a refugium setup. I am hoping to go with a small Kessil for that since it will be a 10 gallon setup. Hopefully this will be sufficient. I am going to call BRS tomorrow and ask about it and use the gooseneck clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749X5XL8...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by JasonR; 01-13-2019, 09:39:13 PM.

If you are just starting the tank, you can keep the light pretty simple right now and maybe even get away with your freshwater light.
    When the tank is done cycling, you would want to add lights associated with saltwater that have the right wavelengths.

I really like my rations. I like the Kessil lights as well. Smaller tanks wonít need as much but controllable is helpful.

I have a Aquaillumination Hydra 26 that you could use for a while to get rolling.
    Iím in huntingtown.
    Let me know if you would like to borrow it.
    It does have a mounting arm as well.

If you like it, you could buy it from me for $80. But it would be best to see if you like how it works.

let me know.
    Sheleen
    90 gal.. new soft corals and fish
    26 gal bow front

Comment

Originally posted by petroinmd View Post
      If you are just starting the tank, you can keep the light pretty simple right now and maybe even get away with your freshwater light.
      When the tank is done cycling, you would want to add lights associated with saltwater that have the right wavelengths.

I really like my rations. I like the Kessil lights as well. Smaller tanks wonít need as much but controllable is helpful.

I have a Aquaillumination Hydra 26 that you could use for a while to get rolling.
      Iím in huntingtown.

If you like it, you could buy it from me for $80. But it would be best to see if you like how it works.

let me know.
      Thank you. Since I decided to do a refugium and a 20 gallon, the cost has increased so it wont be getting done as fast as I was hoping. Watching videos on BRS about refugium lights and I was hoping to use the kessil h80, but with the larger refugium it appears I need a stronger light, but then my buddy was telling me hell no. Grab a LED light with the correct PAR(which I am not sure what that value needs to be yet), a aluminum clamp on fixture and that is it. He is telling me don't spend a bunch of money on it with some fancy light. I figured I needed the correct color spectrum and everything. I will be using Chaeto. Ugh, frustrating.

I will have to keep your offer in mind for sure. I need to search how to check PAR as this is new to me and I don't need to burn up any corals
      Last edited by JasonR; 01-14-2019, 08:38:04 PM.

Comment

Definitely agree a simple light needed for Refugium. I thought u needed a light for the main tank.
        i agree w your friend go simple for refug
        Sheleen
        26 gal bow front

Comment

Definitely agree a simple light needed for Refugium. I thought u needed a light for the main tank.
          i agree w your friend go simple for refug
          I do need a light for main tank. But it could be 2 months now before I need something since the design changed and costs increased. If you still have it Iíll take you up on the offer for sure.

Comment

I used a led bulb in an aluminum work clamp fixture for several years- a long time and it worked out great!

I also used the chinese black boxes for a long time on my display tank. I still have one hanging over my 30 gal frag tank. I still have 2 of the black boxes as my backup lights.
            Lynne

Comment

Do you have a link for these Chinese boxes?

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077J...ack+box+lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017G...547731954&sr=2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergrow-Fu...EAAOSwkrlZy1Ql

Here are 3 links. These are not exactly the same as mine. Mine are only white and blue leds.
                Lynne

Comment

Tagging along on this topic as I have a light-related question for my nano (if Im supposed to start a new topic, pls let me know)

Im currently looking at upgrading the stock lighting for my nano reef tank (Edge 6 gallon) and am strongly considering the Fluval Sea Marine Nano LED (20 watts)...link below.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/pro.../#.XEp346ROmEc

Its very reasonably priced (especially compared to other alternatives Ive looked at like the AI Prime HD).....does anyone have any specific thoughts on this light, or a better recommendation? Planning on having softies and LPS for now but would like the option to have one or two SPSís (i.e. Birds Nest) in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosM View Post
                    Tagging along on this topic as I have a light-related question for my nano (if Im supposed to start a new topic, pls let me know)

Im currently looking at upgrading the stock lighting for my nano reef tank (Edge 6 gallon) and am strongly considering the Fluval Sea Marine Nano LED (20 watts)...link below.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/pro.../#.XEp346ROmEc

Its very reasonably priced (especially compared to other alternatives Ive looked at like the AI Prime HD).....does anyone have any specific thoughts on this light, or a better recommendation? Planning on having softies and LPS for now but would like the option to have one or two SPSís (i.e. Birds Nest) in the future.
                    I can't comment on that particular light since I am still figuring out mine, but in regards to Fluval, I have one on my freshwater tank and really like it. I use the app and have it on auto. Mine has a lot of different options to customize it..

The thing with the saltwater from what I am learning is you need to be careful with the output and burning your corals. It might be different with the nano and hopefully folks here chime in on that. I am actually going to rent a PAR meter from bulk reef supply when I get mine in order to set the height and get the correct PAR readings
                    Last edited by JasonR; 01-24-2019, 10:01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonR View Post

I can't comment on that particular light since I am still figuring out mine, but in regards to Fluval, I have one on my freshwater tank and really like it. I use the app and have it on auto. Mine has a lot of different options to customize it..

The thing with the saltwater from what I am learning is you need to be careful with the output and burning your corals. It might be different with the nano and hopefully folks here chime in on that. I am actually going to rent a PAR meter from bulk reef supply when I get mine in order to set the height and get the correct PAR readings
                      Thanks Jason. Interested in knowing my actual PAR levels as well....let me know how it goes with renting that PAR meter from BRS. Also wonder if maybe someone in the club has one that we could offer to rent from for a few days.

Comment

I am finding the display tank lighting is one of the most difficult things to figure out for beginners. Researching and see what others ask it appears everyone suggests something different. I was originally thinking of one of the black boxes or similar even if it was more expensive for quality purposes, but then people are recommending hybrid setups with LED and T5 bulbs but hell, the one I just looked at which wasn't complete would be like $1500. It is really the last thing I need to complete the tank.

Comment

I started my first reef setup with t-5s. That was a 70 gallon tank. I could grow anything in that tank and I had the best coral color of any tank so far. With that in mind, I just added 4 t-5s to the leds I already have and the coral is starting to get better colors.

What kind of light hood do you have?
                          Lynne

Comment

Iím in huntingtown.

let me know.
                            I might take you up on your offer for that Hydra. I am thinking about doing a hybrid fixture and it does take the hydra as the LED portion. I really think I need the hydra 52 in the end for coverage but initially I think the 26 will be ok alone and even in the fixture until I start building up the corals.

Where do you work? I can come to your house or we can meet somewhere if you want. Just let me know. I would like the arm as well if you don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonR View Post

I might take you up on your offer for that Hydra. I am thinking about doing a hybrid fixture and it does take the hydra as the LED portion. I really think I need the hydra 52 in the end for coverage but initially I think the 26 will be ok alone and even in the fixture until I start building up the corals.

Where do you work? I can come to your house or we can meet somewhere if you want. Just let me know. I would like the arm as well if you don't mind.
                              Sure. I work in DC at Naval Research Lab.
                              I live in huntingtown. I'll PM you my contact info and we can coordinate something.
                              Sheleen
                              26 gal bow front

Comment

Working...
                              X