3D Printing Projects by ichthus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing Projects by ichthus

I wanted to make my Apex cabinet look a little more finished, so I designed these grommets to fill the holes. I have seen these for sale in black, but I wanted orange to match the Apex. I didn't want to have to unplug all of the wires to install them, so I found another solution. I used a two piece design that would key together and be locked in place by the inner piece. I designed a part to fit the holes in a CAD program and printed them on my 3d printer. I thought I would post some pictures of the process.

Before the changes:
    20180313_183336.jpg

Here is the insert on the printer:
    20190127_134832.jpg

Here are both pieces of the outer grommet:
    20190122_193136.jpg

One outer grommet installed:
    20190122_193252.jpg

With the inner piece:
    20190127_135330.jpg

Here is the end result:
    20190128_075425 (2).jpg

I think I may decide to make a piece for the center oval as well. It may be more challenging. I have some other projects that I have done with the 3d printer. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.
    Attached Files
    Jeff

Nice touch-they look great! What CAD program did you use?
    Lynne

Comment

I used Fusion 360 to design the parts and Cura to prepare the file for printing. This combination has worked well for me.
      Jeff

Comment

This is a controller holder for a MP40. This was one of the first projects where I produced a design in CAD software and printed it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the holder on the printer. The brim around the lower edge helps the print to adhere to the bed. It also helps to prevent warping:

Here is what the finished product looks like holding one of my MP40 controllers:
        20180830_195138.jpg
        I also made them in multiple colors:
        20180903_222510.jpg

These are really great because they can be printed in any color and will not rust like the metal holders. It also is much better than using wire ties to secure them, or leaving them on top of a shelf where they can fall off. (Don't ask how I know.)

Attached Files
        Jeff

Comment

Very nice!
          Lynne

Comment

That is awesome. I just bought the Apex EL. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonR View Post
              That is awesome. I just bought the Apex EL. Should arrive today or tomorrow.
              The Apex is a really great way to keep an eye on temperature, as well as PH in your tank and reactors. The accuracy of the ORP and conductivity probes are debatable. However, it can be used to perform tasks, or avoid disaster. I have an Apex that controls my two freshwater African Cichlid tanks. It controls the automatic water change, heaters, lights and filters.

My Apex on my reef tank controls my automatic water change, water mixing station, calcium reactor solenoid, WAVs, ATK, AFS, skimmer and cooling fan. My return pump and lights are all Ecotech, so they are controlled by a Reeflink. The main reason I went with the Reeflink over the WXM module for the Apex was the ability to control the return pump. The Reeflink works fine, but can be difficult to keep connected to the router. The Apex is still used to monitor power usage on the lights and return pump so that it will send an alarm if they stop working.

This is probably much more than you wanted to know, but it shows that there are almost unlimited possibilities for using the Apex if you are a little creative with the programming. One of the best suggestions I can make is to make sure you label all of your wires. It takes a little extra time, but you will be glad in the end.

Jeff

Comment

Very cool! Nicely mounted controls go along way for aesthetics and ease of use. Totally worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by igotmaddfish View Post
                  Very cool! Nicely mounted controls go along way for aesthetics and ease of use. Totally worth the time.
                  Thanks. Here are some pictures of how some of my Apex equipment is mounted.

Here is when the mounting cabinet before everything was installed. It is hinged at the top for easy access:
                  20170918_185822.jpg

All of the power supplies for the Radions, L1 return pump and 1Link module are contained in the cabinet:
                  20180313_183010.jpg

All cords and plugs are labelled on all three energy bars:
                  20180313_183355.jpg
                  20180313_184839.jpg

Here is the control box that is used for mixing saltwater and performing a water change outside of the daily schedule:
                  20180308_195123.jpg
                  20180308_193438.jpg

This is a bit of a challenge to code correctly, but beats having to dig around for a phone or tablet while working. I have pictures, and a parts list, for how I built this one if anyone would like to build one for their system.
                  Attached Files
                  Jeff

Comment

Very nice. I have seen some of those things you mentioned. I plan on using some of the features and probably grow into it more later

Comment

i could use a couple of those holders, how about one for the power supply? if its laying on the floor and water gets to it it will blow. i know .

Comment

These are not my design, but I printed them to hold the displays for my Apex systems.

I have one of these on the screen for both of my Apex systems:
                        20180820_154128.jpg
                        This is an Amazon Fire Tablet that it used as a display on my system at the water mixing station. It is connected to power so it is always on.
                        screen.jpeg

Attached Files
                        Jeff

Comment

This is the latest thing off of the printer, a power supply bracket for a MP40. This is before it was removed from the printer and trimmed. The brim around the edge helps thin objects to adhere better to the printing surface:
                          20190202_163311a.jpg
                          This is what the holder looks like with a power supply installed:
                          20190202_165538a.jpg

It screws in place and holds the power supply pretty securely. You could probably mount the brackets horizontally, as long as you don't plan to pull on the wires to slide it out of the holder. Vertical seems to be the safest mounting position.
                          20190202_165712a.jpg
                          20190202_165724a.jpg
                          This is not my original design, but is nice. Looks like I need to print another one of these to make a pair...
                          Attached Files
                          Jeff

Comment

Very cool. I just mounted my Apex inside my cabinet. Some awesome stuff you can do with that printer.

Comment

These are some lid handles for my screen tops:

20190204_161426.jpg

They work really well and have an interesting glow when the blue lights are on.
                              Attached Files
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X