Coral Dipping and Acclimation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coral Dipping and Acclimation

Interested in knowing what type of coral dip(s) and how most folks acclimate (i.e. steps, amount of time, etc) their corals.

I'm a reef tank newbie and have seen different recommendations, especially with regards to type of coral dip (Coral Rx, Lugol's, Bayer Insecticide, etc). I've been told Coral Rx is harsher than some other types....but would like to know if anyone else shares the same opinion. Thanks!

I use revive coral dip. I have also used Coral Rx in the past. I float the corals in the bags to get them up to temperature. Then they are acclimated to my tank using drip acclimation for 30 to 45 minutes. I usually do this until I have dripped in enough water to double the volume of water in the container. I then remove each coral and dip it according to the instructions. I use one container for dipping and another for rinsing. The water is changed often in the containers because corals release toxins when irritated. I am concerned about a coral being in the toxins released by the previous coral. It is important to use something like a turkey baster to gently move the water so that any pests will come off. Always check to make sure nothing else is coming off before you rinse them and place them in you tank, or better yet a quarantine tank. I always give them a good rinse in clean tank water before they go in the tank because you don't want dip in your tank. I hope this is helpful.
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ichthus View Post
      I use revive coral dip. I have also used Coral Rx in the past. I float the corals in the bags to get them up to temperature. Then they are acclimated to my tank using drip acclimation for 30 to 45 minutes. I usually do this until I have dripped in enough water to double the volume of water in the container. I then remove each coral and dip it according to the instructions. I use one container for dipping and another for rinsing. The water is changed often in the containers because corals release toxins when irritated. I am concerned about a coral being in the toxins released by the previous coral. It is important to use something like a turkey baster to gently move the water so that any pests will come off. Always check to make sure nothing else is coming off before you rinse them and place them in you tank, or better yet a quarantine tank. I always give them a good rinse in clean tank water before they go in the tank because you don't want dip in your tank. I hope this is helpful.
      Jeff - Really appreciate the post, very helpful....thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X