Finally Progress with Cycling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Progress with Cycling

I've been testing regularly the past week. I am almost 2 weeks into my cycle. I am doing it a little different and using 3 different bacteria kits. MB7, Dr Tim's and Red Sea. The tank was pretty cloudy a few days ago and while I know folks have posted bacteria blooms I didn't expect it this soon, but honestly didn't know when you normally get them anyway. Plus my ammonia has been steady and not high. Nitrates have been insanely high I think using the nyos and red sea test kits. The ammonia :I have used the API and the salifert kits. Finally today the tank started looking like it was clearing up. I tested things tonight again and ammonia spiked on both tests, so I was pretty happy about that and my nitrates dropped on both test kits as well. And literally I could see a clarity difference in the water as the hours went by. I couldn't believe it. I also have a decaying shrimp in there. I need to figure out when to take that out. It is a pretty large shrimp.

I figure if the ammonia and nitrates get back down to 0 and under 5, then I might be able to put the clowns in the tank and I would think I should take the shrimp out then.

I do have kind of a clear/cloudy looking slick slime on the glass and on other things. I am planning on Tuesday putting my filter sock back in and cleaning the glass and sump and hoping the filter sock catches most of this junk and continues clearing up the water. I am also going to turn on my skimmer to break that in and maybe help with this slime stuff.

Feeling pretty excited now to see a change for the positive.

Turned the skimmer on and set it on as low as it will go for break in. Already doing work. I cleaned the glass and sump and clogged one filter sock so definitely getting this water right prepping for fish. Once I have chaeto going I donít plan on using the socks. It hasnít been in the whole cycle time because of adding the bacteria. Now that that part is done Iíll run it for a couple days to get any gunk out from the decaying shrimp.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice....the real fun is about to begin . What kind of reef tank do you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosM View Post
        Nice....the real fun is about to begin . What kind of reef tank do you have in mind?
        Bright colors. Lol. So the easiest maintenance to obtain that is what I want.

Comment

Roger that, lol. I'm sure Christian WindowReefs can help with some good suggestions.

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track. Once ammonia is at 0 you can try some livestock. I have plenty of coral options when the time comes. Feel free to ask any questions or stop by the shop in the meantime if you want to do some planning.

Comment

Originally posted by WindowReefs View Post
              Sounds like you are on the right track. Once ammonia is at 0 you can try some livestock. I have plenty of coral options when the time comes. Feel free to ask any questions or stop by the shop in the meantime if you want to do some planning.
              Thank you. Got home yesterday and ammonia was .5 on api and .15 or less with Salifert. Nitrates still high but I think I can still add the clowns I have with nitrates present. I did put a capful of prime in last night. Iíll see where Iím at tonight. Iíve ran the skimmer the past two nights with cup. During the day no cup. Hoping that helps reduce nitrates.

Coming by is bad. Iíll try rushing into things to start buying. Already kinda feel that way. Lol

Comment

Haha. Good point. Patience is the name of the game in reef tanks.

Comment

Working...
                X