No announcement yet.

150 DD Build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning them out real good. 1 had spring water in it and the other had brandy in it. Got them for $50 a piece from a brewery in DC. They have 1 more left and a bunch of the white 55 gallon barrels/drums all food safe.
    I am making a mixing station so I can have RO/DI and saltwater on hand. I plan to stack them so the RO/DI can gravity drain into the saltwater with a valve and the saltwater can gravity drain into my tank. The only electricity needed will be a small pump to mix the saltwater. I will build the stand so they are up high enough to do this.

Comment

Those are really nice water barrels! You got an excellent deal as well.

How are you going to stack them?
      Last edited by LynneC; 01-21-2020, 06:23:21 PM.
      Lynne

Comment

I am going to stack them so I can use gravity to do all the work. RO/DI unit will put water into the top container and a valve will gravity feed to the lower one where I can add salt so it will be for water changes. The bottom will be raised off the ground so that it will gravity feed into my sump during water change. I will also have a valve and a hose on the other side of the RO/DI container so I can fill up buckets if I ever need to.

Comment

Nice. Are you building a platform or shelving rack? It would have to be a monster to hold 100 gallons of water.
          Lynne

Comment

Ive been going back and forth on how I want it. I want the bottom one raised up just enough so that my 50-60g brute with wheels will store under it. Enough room between the bottom one and the top one so I can put salt in it without it being a pain.
            For the build of the stand. I have an exposed wall in the laundry room so I can attach 2x4s or 2x6s to each side of the studs. That would take care of one side of the stand. On the other I think I will just use 2 4x4s. One for the front and one for the back. If I attach the 2x4s or 2x6s to each side of the 4x4s that should be plenty strong for 400 lbs each level. Put plywood on top of each for a shelf to even out the weight and two cross braces so it does not rock.
            I wanted to do something elaborate but this method would just be super easy.

Comment

20200130_165455.jpg

Comment

wow! where did you get him? he is beautiful!
                Lynne

Comment

The best place I have found to buy quality fish at good prices is nyaquatics. Gem tangs are $350ish, purple tangs are $89, yellow are $39, powder blue are $40-50, list goes on but free shipping at $150. All are treated with copper and are eating before sold.
                  You know how hard it is to get a moorish idol to eat and this guy was eating frozen the next day. Fingers crossed he wont eat coral in the future.

Comment

What kind of frozen food are you feeding him? that is good news that he is eating!
                    Lynne

Comment

I have ocean nutrition flakes that are in a auto feeder and I feed angel and butterfly mix from san Francisco bay and I feed my own mix that has everything in it. All are feed multiple times a day to make sure he gets enough food. Idols have a high metabolism so they need to eat often, especially the first 3 months.

Comment

I picked up a few corals but I will have to wait for them to color up before posting pics. I got a blue palmers milli, sunset milli, bubblegum milli, hyacinthus milli, shagy stag, toxic tort, and 2 leathers that was free from jason fox and world wide corals. Not looking for leathers but they were free and are super bright. Here is a pic the minute I put it in all closed up.
                        20200208_200542.jpg

Comment

Like the color

Comment

wow! that is super green!
                            Lynne

Comment

Here are 2 pics of the other green leather
                              20200212_201034.jpg

Comment

20200212_200838.jpg

Comment