Getting back in the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back in the game

Been out of the game for a while but im getting back in. Just putting some feelers out to see if anyone has a good dc skimmer for sale. I know most of us have extras of almost everything. I still have my trusty euro reef skimmer but i like to try new things. Thanks Michael

Welcome back to SMMAS and the hobby! Do you still have your same tank? Is it up and running? We would love to see some pictures.
    Lynne

Comment

I kept my tanks but Im not setting them up. I bought a undrilled 90 so i can use a ghost overflow and do a bean animal system. I figured a 90 would be good to ease back into the hobby without being overwhelmed by a bigger tank and it looking empty with teeny baby frags.

Comment

The Ghost overflow with the bean animal system are a great combo. It makes for a very quiet overflow. Dobyou have water in the tank yet?
        Lynne

Comment

No, I've got many things to do before I am ready for water.Currently I'm bleaching my old rock.I also need to get all the plumbing parts. I am using red pvc for my drain lines, black for my return lines, and blue for my closed loop lines. I really want the everything to be organized and clean looking. I like to look at reefers equipment almost as much as their corals but its a big disappointment when you see lots of wires and chaos with their equipment. I have been guilty of that myself so this time I'm going to take my time.

Comment

I bought a big lot of used rock that was wet and stinky. I soaked it in water/hydrogen peroxide for 2 weeks. Then I put it on the driveway and pressure washed it to get the dead stuff off. There were some monster bristle worms and other dead stuff coming out of the rock. It was so nasty that I soaked it in peroxide for another 2 weeks. After that, I made rock towers for my rock scape. There were a couple of very large vermetid snails stuck to the rocks that were stinking but I used a chisel to pluck them off. After they were gone, the rock had no odor. I think using bleach would have made it go faster.

Please post pictures of your build. I canít wait to see it.
            Lynne

Comment

Yes bleach is definitely quicker than peroxide. Muriatic acid is even quicker than bleach. I choose bleach because it's cheap and easy because I don't have to scrub the rock, with the exception of chiseling out snail shells like you had to do.

I will definitely take pics and share them. It will be a very slow build because plan to spend the money needed to have it the way i want it. No shortcuts if I can help it. I also want to line the inside of my tank stand with something like a white formica sheeting or similar waterproof material to contain potential leaks from the sump or plumbing. It should be capable of holding about 10 gallons of water before overflowing where the doors are. Plus having the inside white and very easy to whipe down salt creep will keep it looking new for years to come.

Comment

That is an excellent idea. Alot of people use Linoleum. You can heat it and bend it. I never liked the way the corners came out though. There is a 1/4 inch wall board you can get for shower surrounds. It comes in 4x8 sheets.

My skimmer went whackasuey the other day and sprayed the inside of my cabinet with green gunk. I had to wipe the whole inside down.
                Lynne

Comment

Something like that is the way to go. Cut it, silicone or caulk it and done.
                  Your skimmer misshap is a great example of why I will be doing that.

Comment

Working...
                  X