Anyone tank sit for others?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tank sit for others?

So Iím curious about this. Someone mentioned folks in the group have helped others when out of town.

We we are going on vacation for a little over a week and Iím trying to get the tank as automated as I can. Just need to program the autofeeder and setup the ATO but Iím sure the reservoir will run out.

However, I like the fish to get some frozen food and also dose mb7 and couple other things. And I have a freshwater tank that isnít automated at all that needs food every other day.

I know Cynthia lives close to me in Mechanicsville, not sure about others.

It might be easier to just use a bigger ato reservoir while on vacation and get a automatic feeder for the freshwater tank. Tanks should be fine without frozen and mb7.
    It might be ackward if something went wrong while you were gone and somebody was watching your tank for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It might be easier to just use a bigger ato reservoir while on vacation and get a automatic feeder for the freshwater tank. Tanks should be fine without frozen and mb7.
      It might be ackward if something went wrong while you were gone and somebody was watching your tank for you.
      I canít use an auto feeder on the fresh tank setup. If something is going wrong Iíd rather someone there to possibly catch the issue instead of coming back to a disaster.

Comment

Michael has a good point regarding a catastrophe or something going wrong with someones tank when you are taking care of it. Yikes.

I have heard some bad stories about auto top-offs going wackasui and flooding the basement. I canít remember where I heard about this recently but they had 18Ē of water in the basement.

When we go away, I use an automatic feeder on all tanks. My son comes over to top-off the tanks, but now I have auto top-offs for all tanks. Needless to say, we bought a video surveillance camera so I can check on the tanks. I am also going to purchase a leak detector for my apex.

You can feed liquid foods with a dosing system. I saw this video a while back. I thought this was a cool idea. (pardon the pun)

https://youtu.be/vJ0qNlJpymk

I will still have to have someone stop by the house when we are away because we also have 3 parrots that need clean water and food. I am working on a auto feeder for them, but clean water is a challenge.
        Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by LynneC View Post
          Michael has a good point regarding a catastrophe or something going wrong with someones tank when you are taking care of it. Yikes.

I have heard some bad stories about auto top-offs going wackasui and flooding the basement. I canít remember where I heard about this recently but they had 18Ē of water in the basement.

When we go away, I use an automatic feeder on all tanks. My son comes over to top-off the tanks, but now I have auto top-offs for all tanks. Needless to say, we bought a video surveillance camera so I can check on the tanks. I am also going to purchase a leak detector for my apex.

You can feed liquid foods with a dosing system. I saw this video a while back. I thought this was a cool idea. (pardon the pun)

https://youtu.be/vJ0qNlJpymk

I will still have to have someone stop by the house when we are away because we also have 3 parrots that need clean water and food. I am working on a auto feeder for them, but clean water is a challenge.
          Whoever is coming to check should not be held responsible if feeder or ato fails. But if they do fail that person can help mitigate further issues.

Whats the point of video if nobody is around when something fails? You get to watch the destruction live then. Great vacation. At least someone comes over they can throw towels down or feed the fish. No different that someone watching your dog.

Comment

I have had a person watch the tank years ago (90's) to come home and find out they over fed the tank, and it was lost. Couple of years ago, I had a friend come by and do top off for me and feed. Went over everything with him several times. This was prior to my ato. I do agree, I would still rather have a person, that I trust, come by and check it out while I'm gone. A set of eyes, even if they don't know the hobby is better to me than having nothing.

Sorry I'm not close to you or I would fish-sit
            Ken Higgins
            120 gallon reef
            125 gallon fresh water
            50 gallon fresh water

Comment

With a camera and an Apex online, you can check the tank every day. If something looks suspicious or is going awry you can call someone.
              Lynne

Comment

Like I said before, my luck, I would be watching, the fish would flip me the fin, then jump out!! Not a thing you can do with dat!!

Just my .02
                Ken Higgins
                120 gallon reef
                125 gallon fresh water
                50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Higgins View Post
                  I have had a person watch the tank years ago (90's) to come home and find out they over fed the tank, and it was lost. Couple of years ago, I had a friend come by and do top off for me and feed. Went over everything with him several times. This was prior to my ato. I do agree, I would still rather have a person, that I trust, come by and check it out while I'm gone. A set of eyes, even if they don't know the hobby is better to me than having nothing.

Sorry I'm not close to you or I would fish-sit
                  Yeah, thatís why Iím here since you all are in the hobby. A friend watched my fresh tank last year before I had the salt tank and no issues. Just rather someone familiar with salt watch it. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Like I said before, my luck, I would be watching, the fish would flip me the fin, then jump out!! Not a thing you can do with dat!!

Just my .02
                    hahaha
                    Lynne

Comment

With a camera and an Apex online, you can check the tank every day. If something looks suspicious or is going awry you can call someone.
                      Even with that option doesnít matter much, everyone is resisting. Iíll just have to train the person that normally watches the cat and dragon

Comment

Not sure what the everyone is resisting comment means? We are trying to help
                        Ken Higgins
                        120 gallon reef
                        125 gallon fresh water
                        50 gallon fresh water

Comment

Not sure what the everyone is resisting comment means? We are trying to help
                          Maybe resisting is the wrong word. Basically, nobody does it here. I can understand the hesitation to a point, but really Itís no different than taking care of a friends dog or cat while they are gone.

i guess I should have asked if there was a local company that offers the service.

Comment

call who? Thats pretty much why I posted to ask.

Comment

Unfortunately I live a distance away.

Comment

Working...
                              X