Sand suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand suggestions

I am setting up my new dream tank this weekend and replacing the sand. Does anyone have any experience with this Hawaiian Black sand? Or what do you all suggest other than the fine grain sand?

Here is my opinion. This is YOUR DREAM TANK......Do NOT rush it. Plan it out, do your research and ask as you have been. It's a wealth of knowledge in this group. #1 thing to a salt/reef tank is not to rush it!!
    Ken Higgins
    120 gallon reef
    125 gallon fresh water
    50 gallon fresh water

Comment

I want to make sure I am prepared for this weekend and that I am using the right thing. I hate the fine sand in my other tank. It makes a mess and gets blown/moved around easily.

Comment

Has anyone ever used the black Hawaiian sand in a reef tank? It is volcanic rock and not aragonite. I donít think it will help buffer the tank but it should be a place for bacteria to grow.
        Lynne

Comment

Have not, only crushed coral.
          Ken Higgins
          120 gallon reef
          125 gallon fresh water
          50 gallon fresh water

Comment

I have not used black sand, I use sand - got away from the crushed coral

Comment

I had a friend bring me back 20lbs of black sand from the beach when they went to Hawaii on vacation. I never had a problem with it. It looked cool but you couldnt tell if it was dirty. That is both good and bad. If you use it you would probably want a lighter background or the sand wont stand out. You may as well just paint the bottom black. On the other hand if the sand and all walls are black and you only have blue lights on...BAM...the corals really stand out.

Comment

Here you go. But they are out of stock right now. Iím sure you can find it elsewhere.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/speci...-caribsea.html

Comment

Working...
                X